[Dailydave] Braintank Con 2012 Call For Papers

Richard Thieme rthieme at thiemeworks.com
Thu Jul 19 11:30:13 EDT 2012

    Braintank Con 2012 Call For Papers

http://thebraintank.com/cfp2012

This is a convention for the hacker and maker community; if you're
reading this, it's entirely likely we're talking about you. Sure we can
drum up a bunch of good content on our own, but really, this is about
getting you out in front of an audience and showing them what you've
been up to!

Usually conferences put out their call for papers months in advance,
hoping to attract people who've been working on the latest cutting-edge
stuff to come and show it off for the first time. This is great, /if/
you want to come see people talk about the latest cutting edge stuff in
highly-specialized areas. We're taking things at a slightly different
pace. Our goal is to cross-pollinate ideas across various skillsets,
introducing people to things they have some interest in, but little
exposure to; encouraging people who've never spoken to an audience
before (and may not consider themselves an expert on the topic they're
talking about) is what we're encouraging here - sometimes the best
person to introduce a topic to beginners, is someone who's a beginner in
the topic themselves.

So we've geared the schedule to get a lot of talks into one day, without
you having to prepare massive amounts of material to present. We have 7,
14 21 and 28 minute time slots available, in either the Hacker or Maker
Tracks. Here's the kind of talks we're looking for:

    * Introductions to key skills for beginners
          o Reckon you can send someone away knowing how to use a 555
            timer in cool ways, in 7 minutes?
          o Given 14 minutes and an audience, could you leave a roomful
            of people being able to tell others what Cross-Site
            Scripting is?
    * Topics that appeal to a crossover audience
          o In 21 minutes, how many ways can you show people how a
            software-defined radio can be used in a security audit?
          o Is it possible to teach an audience of electronics hobbyists
            how to build a standalone bluetooth hardware packet capture
            device in 28 minutes?

With that said, let's get a few ground rules out the way:

    * Must be your original work (your own or in collaboration with others)
    * If the talk is about something you're selling (for instance, a
      hardware kit) we may chose to ask you to buy a vendor table
      instead (at our discretion).
    * We available time slots are tiered towards more of the shorter
      slots, fewer of the longer ones. Shorter talks are more likely to
      be selected. That said, don't short-sell yourself, if you think
      you need more time for a topic, pick what you think you need.
    * If you've got something you want to send the audience away with
      (code, links to resources, etc), supply it and we'll include it on
      the conference CD.
    * Cut-off date for submissions is 12:01am August 20th, 2012
    * We'll contact accepted speakers by email and phone after August
      24th, 2012
    * Timeslots will be assigned and communicated by September 9th, 2012
    * Speaking hours at the conference run from 10am to 6pm

Ok folks, that's the general idea: if you have a question we haven't
answered here, email us at cfp at thebraintank.com
<mailto:cfp at thebrainthank.com?subject=Got%20a%20Question%21> or on
twitter @thebraintank <http://twitter.com/thebraintank>