[Dailydave] Ring ring ring failphone

Alex McGeorge alexm at immunityinc.com
Fri Jul 20 09:36:26 EDT 2012

Hi List,

Mobile phones aren't something I do a whole lot of work on so maybe my
ignorance of this issue is telling here. A friend pointed me at this:
http://click-fraud-fun.blogspot.com/ (look at the July 16th post first)
and I was kind of surprised. Essentially for some US carriers when you
visit a website via your 3g/4g connection your phone number can be
leaked via a web request, in some cases it is leaked via internal telco
proxy credentials that are passed past the last proxy.* The blog notes
that this issue has come up before and provides some background links.

By watching the development of Silica and STALKER for the past few years
Mark and AlexI have basically convinced me that 802.11 wireless is the
devil. So I keep it permanently disabled on my phone. Now it seems that
if I leave a snarky comment on a site I got to using my phone I might
get a phone call from the site owner. If we can't be jerks to each other
anonymously on the internet then what's the point?

Cheers,
-AlexM

[*] If you're looking for a test to see if you're awake this Friday try
saying "passed past the last proxy" 5 times fast.

--
Alex McGeorge
Immunity Inc.