[Dailydave] Videos for you: The Navy and Cyber

Dave Aitel dave at immunityinc.com
Fri Jun 29 11:03:35 EDT 2012

So these are great videos:
http://www.youtube.com/user/USNavalInstitute/videos

You'll notice the one by General Cartwright (which we twittered/posted
earlier) has about 2000 views, and all the others have like, 10. But
that could just be because his video is awesome.

Panels are always hard to get value out of (*cough* RSA *cough*), so
watching this <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHDmiFaNi3A&feature=plcp>
you get weird bits of good value and then on the other hand tidbits like
"we should concentrate across the board". Who can concentrate
*everywhere*? Autistics, I guess. Is the US military full of autistics?
I think not.

 But if you have to take something away from this panel it's these three
things:

 1. Finding ways to get value out of cyber warfare that reach the
    front-line operators is very difficult. People like to talk about
    devolving it as a weapon down to the front-line units, but noone
    seems to have any idea what that looks like.
 2. Bandwidth remains the single biggest problem for people in the field.
 3. Situational awareness is a huge problem for people used to thinking
    in "maps". Imagine getting "situational awareness across the
    Internet". What would that be visualized as? (If you answered
    "Google" you might be right.)

On another note, does anyone remember a science fiction series/book
where the first thing they did was throw power/bandwidth blocks
everywhere in the battlefields they were going into?

-dave

--
INFILTRATE - the world's best offensive information security conference.
April 2013 in Miami Beach