[Dailydave] Quick thread on SQLi

Michal Zalewski lcamtuf at coredump.cx
Thu Mar 8 14:17:06 EST 2012

> There are many SQLI patterns that are hard for automated tools to
> find. This is an obvious point, so I'm sorry to pedantic, but I think
> a survey based on automated scanning is a misleading starting point
> for the discussion.

Well, the definition of a web application  is a surprisingly
challenging problem, too. This is particularly true for any surveys
that randomly sample Internet destinations.

Should all the default "it works!" webpages produced by webservers be
counted as "web applications"? In naive counts, they are, but
analyzing them for web app vulnerabilities is  meaningless. In
general, at what level of complexity does a "web application" begin,
and how do you measure that when doing an automated scan?

Further, if there are 100 IPs that serve the same www.youtube.com
front-end to different regions, are they separate web applications? In
many studies, they are. On the flip side, is a single physical server
with 10,000 parked domains a single web application? Some studies see
it as 10,000 apps.

Heck, is www.google.com a web application, or a collection of several
hundred web apps? In my view, it's the latter, but how do you tell
with a script?

Would it be considered a single application were it running on a
single physical machine? The intuitive answer is "no", but then, from
the perspective of SQLi or an RCE bug, there is a difference of sorts.

There's more... are foo.blogspot.com and bar.blogspot.com separate
"web applications"? If not, then what about *.appspot.com? How does an
automated tool determine the difference between these environments?

The list goes on... In such cases, manually constructed and carefully
vetted data is actually quite likely to be more meaningful than any
automated
studies.

/mz