[Dailydave] Paid-for Vendor talk .... seems legit?

David Maynor dmaynor at gmail.com
Thu Mar 22 16:20:07 EDT 2012

I don't mind sponsorship as much as I do the lack of knowledge transfer. If you have a flow chart for a problem and one of the boxes is a ? thats not as good as a talk that shows lots of IDA screens. I feel like the difference between RSA and Defcon is that RSA talks are marketing pitches for products where Defcon has technical discussions of problems. So leaving an RSA talk is a lot like those mysterious drug commercials that just list random symptoms and sends the masses in a hypochondria, where Defcon leaves me thinking how can I integrate this into my testing or write exploits to take advantage of it.

As long as I leave a conference with that Defcon feeling I am happy regardless of how it's funded.