[Dailydave] SyScan Singapore 2013 - Tenth Anniversary Edition ( not a CFP )

Ben Nagy ben at iagu.net
Wed Nov 21 22:42:01 EST 2012

This is not a CFP.

We are incredibly chuffed to announce SyScan Singapore 2013 - Tenth
Anniversary Edition! Time and again voted the "Most Located In
Singapore" Information Security Conference, we once more bring you 5
days of world class training, speakers and drinking adversaries[1].
However, this is not the CFP, nor is one to come.

Training: 22-24 April, 2013 ( 2 or 3 day courses )

People Talking: 25-26 April, 2013

Venue: Swissotel Merchant Court, Singapore

Although cfp at syscan.org is a valid email address that is monitored by
humans, we're not doing the "everybody scores all submissions on a big
spreadsheet and then we pretend to be all fair and balanced and add up
points and stuff" thing anymore. If you choose to send something to
this deceptively named email address (because this is not a CFP) then
your submission will be judged by your ability to communicate
succinctly in writing, how good we think the talk sounds, what other
people say about you behind your back and whether, frankly, we feel
like people are going to be happy they paid money to see you yap for
an hour.

That was the stick, here's the carrot.

- Singapore. Best Chilli Mud Crab in the damn world.

- Accommodation. The Swissotel is actually pretty nice.

- Free Booze. For Everyone. All Day, for the whole conference.

- Cool People. Singapore is kind of the middle of everywhere on an air
travel map, so you can expect folks from Asia, Australia / NZ, Europe
and the Americas all at once.

Speakers get all that for free, obviously.

Here's the good bit. You know how researchers really hate it when one
or two guys get paid to talk? Well... I hate it, cause it's never me.
Anyway, this year we're PAYING ALL SPEAKERS $5000 SGD[2] - more than
enough to afford that Microsoft Surface RT you've always wanted, or
maybe build yourself a full suit of armour out of Sega Dreamcasts....

If you spoke at the inaugural SyScan, then even if you don't feel like
reprising your talk and updating the content for 2013 ( which I,
personally, strongly encourage ) then you still get in for free and
we'll take you to all the cool speaker party stuff.

IMPORTANT DATES OR WHATEVER:

Close of CFP:    None, see above.
First Round Speaker Announcement:     Maybe January, I guess?
Final Speaker Announcement:     January 31st. Give or take.
Deadline for Materials:     Has this worked for anyone, ever?

SyScan is a 100% SVC Approved Conference.

Cheers,

ben

[1] Hey @nicowaisman! I'm talking to YOU! ;)
[2] Except researchers from COSEINC. This is me giving the boss the
finger -> nIm