[Dailydave] Cyber tools of oppression are most often in the form of databases.

Dave Aitel dave at immunityinc.com
Wed Oct 17 14:09:59 EDT 2012

SILICA is getting updated today, and I'll say the primary feature I like
about it is the new smart upload feature to STALKER. It's easy to forget
when you have an Ethernet connection to fast Internet that the majority
of time you are doing wireless assessments you are going to be in a
hotel room in Timbuktu, Michigan, wishing the guy next door would stop
with his porn so you could upload your PCAP to STALKER at > 1KB/s.

So now SILICA splits the files up, and sends them intelligently with
resuming, and a progress bar, and so even if your new next door friend
monopolizes the wireless all night you can trickle your data up to the
server and it will be there by the morning.

One other thing that's awesome about SILICA is we took the time to make
our wireless driver work in a VM. I know it's not well known, but
previous to this, there really aren't any USB wireless drivers that can
work in VMWare reliably. There's a lot of hard-coded timeouts in USB
wireless drivers, and when you're doing WEP injection for example, the
VMWare stack is going to occasionally delay USB responses, and then
you'll hit that timeout and Linux will think your card is dead, and
eject it.

So we had to comb through and fix all that. So SILICA works great in a
VM now.

And in conclusion, the new SILICA is awesome, and it's 2500 bucks, and
you should buy it. Hooray! :>

Also, you can read this
<http://infosecisland.com/blogview/22587-The-EFF-is-Losing-Its-Way-on-Internet-Freedom.html>,
which has less to do about wireless hacking than you'd think.

-dave

--
INFILTRATE - the world's best offensive information security conference.
April 2013 in Miami Beach