[Dailydave] Shellshocked Zombie Speeches

Dave Aitel dave at immunityinc.com
Mon Aug 5 15:49:33 EDT 2013

So BlackHat is over and although I didn't go, my favorite paper is the
SVG timing attack paper by Paul Stone, which is flat out awesome work.
Go read it
here:http://www.contextis.com/files/Browser_Timing_Attacks.pdf
<http://www.contextis.com/files/Browser_Timing_Attacks.pdf> . Also,
someone buy that brit a pint for simply writing up great technical work
in a readable, non "2-column with LaTex" format! He used colors and
fonts and headers and all sorts of crazy tech!

And there was Hack Cup at BlackHat! I'll post pictures later, but thanks
to everyone who came and who have been coming to play indoor soccer with
us over the years. It's awesome to have everyone participate in
something friendly in the hyper-competitive world that is security! :>

But of course, the real news (other than hack-cup) at BlackHat was
DIRNSA talking. It is on Youtube here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvVIZ4OyGnQ
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvVIZ4OyGnQ&feature=youtu.be> . If
you've watched it, you know that it is as if delivered by a shellshocked
zombie who has been spending nearly his entire life for a month having
his teeth drilled by lawyers . The only time he comes alive is when
getting heckled. It is painful to watch. I'll sum up what he said in two
sentences here, so you don't have to suffer through it and that is this:

"After 9/11, Cerberus was given some more leash. But he wasn't let off
his leash."

See, it could have been that simple. And as someone in the next room
pointed out, who's at BlackHat /heckling /DIRNSA for reading email
anyways? If you've never read a mail spool, maybe you're at the wrong
conference, eh?

To put it into context, is Bruce Sterling, famous science fiction author
and...person who can write. I will post his two articles below, since
they are both worth reading for the humor if nothing else. "volcanic
inexorability" is a great phrase, for example. There are a lot of great
phrases. Bruce has a decent connection to the community, and he knows
how to put words together like few others.

https://medium.com/geek-empire-1/a1ebd2b4a0e5 (The Ecuadorian Library)
https://medium.com/p/f745f5fbeb1c (The Blast Shack (read this first))

This article here is probably a less funny but just as interesting read.
He's a professor at Cornell who describes himself FIRST as a hacker.
http://hackingdistributed.com/2013/08/01/framework-for-surveillance/

And in the meantime the IC was busy owning things. Getting the job done.

http://blogs.computerworld.com/cybercrime-and-hacking/22595/fbi-behind-firefox-zero-day-compromising-half-all-tor-sites

And in the process proving the Grugq right.

TOR BROWSER vs PORTAL

-dave