[Dailydave] smaller errors eroding situational awareness.

Christian Heinrich christian.heinrich at cmlh.id.au
Tue Aug 20 20:12:34 EDT 2013

Anton,

The core issue here is related to compliance, not security.

For instance, PCI DSS v2.0 Requirement 6.2 mandated that a "High" Risk
vulnerability .. *may* include a CVSS base score of 4.0 or above, ..."
[emphasis added].

Therefore, the likelihood of an unschedule outage from implementing a
patch and/or workaround for a low or medium severity is outweighed by
their risk appetite (i.e. lack of  maturity within the culture of the
end user to support the processes related to the implementation of
workarounds and/or patching of vulnerabilities of low and medium
severity).

Hence, the end user's definition of a "high" risk vulnerability can be
reclassified as a much higher CVSSv2 Base Score than 4.0 because PCI
DSS permits this.

--
Regards,
Christian Heinrich