[Dailydave] On Haiku, and Marketing.

Dave Aitel dave at immunityinc.com
Thu Jul 18 12:07:10 EDT 2013

"""
You seek the Nothing, but
you have not even mastered having
one thought.
"""

Off and on this week Vanessa and I were still working hard on Immunity's
BlackHat marketing slicks. One night I bought Vanessa a book from Basho
because the Immunity way is that good marketing is about having one true
thought, and saying it. This is a lot harder than you might think, and
the only art form that speaks to it well, in my opinion, is the Haiku.

You can't learn Haiku in school. In general, like all schooling in
America, our literary schooling is unadulterated mind-poison. For
example, when they teach you to write a Haiku they concentrate very
heavily on counting syllables 5-7-5. This is the exact opposite of what
a Haiku is supposed to be: an undeniable communication of a singular
moment and perspective, of one wordless thought. Haikus
<http://www.poemhunter.com/poem/30-cents-two-transfers-love/>are to
poetry what 1 is to numbers. All other poetry
<http://www.poemhunter.com/poem/haiku-ambulance/> builds on this or is
simply wordplay the way all marketing builds on having a poem you can't
help but say out loud or is just a circular diagram of noise
<http://eternasecurity.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Web_Application_Penetration_Testing-20130128-383x380.png>.

-dave