[Dailydave] Defeating what's next

Ben Miller ben at electricfork.com
Thu Jun 13 12:40:41 EDT 2013

so I think one of the more powerful thing about IOCs is that it is open. To
Havlar's point, this assists in forming communities and establishing
confidence. Incidentally, communities and confidence is not something bad
guys are generally lacking but defenders are.

A stack of IOCs can also better inform a defender on what to expect. For
instance, the sequence of IOCS of an attack may outline a dropper, benign
document, a trojan and 10 minute C2 callbacks is not merely "a collection
of IOCs" but it also tells a story. A story about the TTPs used. You can
now broaden the blacklist concept to tactics such as "look for a word
document in %temp% and executables with identical timestamps".

IOCs can assist in moving from one sole defender defending to a community
of defenders defending.  That, in theory, makes for a more informed and
speedy defender. Note: I did not say OODA loop once; even at the end.

-b