[Dailydave] The Source

Katie M k8ek8e at gmail.com
Fri Nov 1 10:47:07 EDT 2013

As a person who worked on the Human Genome project, no, this scenario
is not yet plausible in any meaningful way except to get an idea of
which genetic predispositions a person may have, and even that would be
limited to what we've mapped in terms of genotyping.

Genotyping, or mapping of which genes are associated with a specific
function or trait, is different from sequencing, or determining the
order the CATG bases go in the genome.

The missing pieces of information in our body of knowledge in the space
are the mapping of regions on chromosomes to their genetically
expressable functions. For good and obvious reasons, most work in this
area has been focused on locating genes responsible for diseases.

Way back when I worked on this, the Genome center at MIT found some of
the genes that had a strong association for developing Irritable Bowel
Disease. Hell of an icebreaker at parties, but a tiny example of the
interconnectedness of genes to each other and to environmental factors.

Bottom line, this body of genotyping knowledge is far from complete,
nor completely analyzed at this time.

Fun to think about for a minute. Now back to your regularly scheduled
hacking.

-Katie