[Dailydave] Trojan Languages

William Arbaugh warbaugh at gmail.com
Thu Nov 21 16:15:41 EST 2013

On Nov 21, 2013, at 2:53 PM, Dave Aitel <dave at immunityinc.com> wrote:

> But you're getting one, *very* important thing when you use Python:
>
> 1. Your most complex code will be a lot less buggy.
>
> For advanced remote access trojans, you are operating in a completely unknown environment and frankly, you may NEVER be able to update it or reach it again. Any detection or failure could be globally catastrophic. This means your code has to be forward thinking in a way that is not typical. So it simply has to be much more correct than code usually is.

and here I was thinking Haskell.

> People tend to write complex things more CORRECTLY in Python than in Ruby or Lua or (Naudhubillah!) C. That reason alone is why the future of remote access trojans is embedded Python engines. If you're trying to build trojans that have emergent behavior, then you need a language that makes that behavior as clear and easy to understand as possible.

again Haskell ;).

I've always viewed emergent behavior as the behavior that occurs when a large number of well defined objects (usually small) interact. An example might be a number of INNUENDO nodes that dynamically form an overlay network for exfil.

IMHO the only behavior that emerges from complex code is behavior we DON'T want.