[Dailydave] Some slides for a keynote

Vitaly Osipov vitaly.osipov at gmail.com
Tue Apr 8 17:36:35 EDT 2014

Here are some quotes about goals from a rather randomly selected, but
very fitting, psychology paper
(http://www.psych.nyu.edu/gollwitzer/99Goll_ImpInt.pdf):

"...it matters how people frame their good intentions or goals.  For
instance, better performances are observed when people set themselves
challenging, specific goals as compared with challenging but vague
goals (so-called "do your best" goals). "

"This goal-specificity effect is based on feedback and self-monitoring
advantages, as is also true for the goal-proximity effect (proximal
goals lead to better performances than distal goals)."

"Goal attainment is also more likely... when they frame their intentions
as promotion goals (focusing on the presence or absence of positive
outcomes) rather than prevention goals (focusing on the presence or
absence of negative outcomes)"

Specific, visible goals (infosec examples: own the box, exploit that
piece of software) are a happy place for anyone, and this is one of
the reasons some people like breaking stuff more than making it
"unbreakable". This is not all about media whoring or IC's tendencies.
This work is addictive in part because humans are wired that way.
Regards,
Vitaly