[Dailydave] legacy

Dave Aitel dave at immunityinc.com
Wed Apr 30 16:40:59 EDT 2014

So if you drive to the hospital in Reston, VA where my grandfather Moe
died last week, you pass a giant building guarded by bored cops, with no
sign anywhere nearby. As you pass it on the Fairfax Parkway, it instead
flies a giant American flag in the parking lot, the mark of another
filament in the Sauron's Eye of Intelligence. After a while in the
system, you can recognize it everywhere in the world it has placed an
outpost.

In any case, Moe was in the Army in WWII and when he got out he went to
Cooper Union and then Berkeley and then did a lot of work in Electronic
Warfare at RCA, building the beginnings of Sauron's Eye with vaccum
tubes. Afterwards he went to work sending up satellites that did
"nothing" under several Special Access Programs at SAIC. A bit later
after that he took the time to teach me assembly language and how to
drive stick shift, only one of which I still use to this day.

Honestly, I think the traditional super-mechanized SIGINT that Moe
helped build in a way died with him. I've thought this for a decade,
since you can see the curves of complexity for protocol stacks
stretching upwards to infinity far past the limits of parsing and
understanding it. And the tide has turned on encryption finally - Google
putting PGP into Gmail is going to make it so you can communicate with
even your lawyers securely.

But Sauron's Eye will survive, perhaps at least slightly because of
Immunity's efforts. I don't want to mess with his legacy, after all. :>

-dave