[Dailydave] APT

toby toby00 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 11 12:13:56 EDT 2014

I don't think that the "avoid all systems with HIPS" had anything to do
with being sufficiently advanced. That looked like a decision to avoid
complexity because the people following that decision tree weren't skilled
enough to handle attacking those systems and the default toolset wasn't
designed to handle evasion on those systems.

I have no doubt that the NSA has all the tools necessary to exploit or
evade HIPS but this doesn't look like evidence of it. Using your framing,
this looks like "what we are doing is so sensitive and questionable and
high risk that it is better to ignore targets we are even a little bit
queasy about rather than risk detection". That's avoiding consequences, not
being amazingly bad-ass.

toby