[Dailydave] Drinking the Cool-aid

Scharf, Stephen Stephen.Scharf at experian.com
Fri Mar 21 19:38:16 EDT 2014

Hello Dan.

I would not be so presumptuous to assume I am your favorite CISO, but I will take a stab at your comment anyway. I am also a contributing member to the index, but cannot honestly remember which value I answered for the referenced question.

The truth is we buy security products with all the hopes and dreams they are packaged with and expect value will be derived from their cost. In some cases the cost to implement, and most importantly operate, outweigh the value the product delivers. In those situations it does take some managerial courage to step forward. But if handled correctly, it can be a run-rate cost saving exercise. I myself had previously purchased a product (which will remain unnamed) that cost 4x to implement and 2x to operate and generated 1x in value. After giving every effort to salvage the situation, I made the decision to save 2x by eliminating the 1x value. After all, we are not running security charities, nor do we have unlimited funds to buy and retain every product on the market.

Fair to say that CISOs that make these errors frequently (and own up to them) will not be CISOs much longer. But hopefully the majority of CISOs see that removing solutions for valid reasons is not a career limiting exercise, but failing to do so could be.

-Stephen
Global CISO (of a company my email address gives away)