[Dailydave] Late Friday thoughts on the Kevin Mandia RSAC keynote.

Dan Guido dguido at gmail.com
Mon Mar 24 21:27:40 EDT 2014

This argument by Bejtlich really makes me angry and it's representative of
the way that we seem to deal with cyber attribution out in the open. There
are a lot of gaps in the APT1 report that make those not "in the know"
question the results. In my opinion, that kind of questioning is deserved.

Our response to it is "there's secret evidence that you can't see but trust
us it's China". Who do you think that's convincing? I think the only people
who are swayed by that information are the Chinese, who then promptly
change the TTPs they care about.

It seems like we're straddling this awful middle ground, where we don't
want to drop EVERYTHING we know because then "they'll know we know" but we
don't want to or can't remain wholly silent or actually take meaningful
defensive action. Instead, we're left with one hand trying to hold up our
pants, and a second hand alternating between covering our own mouths, and
pointing and yelling at China.

Why? I really bet that "the APT" can get enough out of our actions to know
when to change what they do. I bet that they change what they do enough
even without us dropping what we know, when we know it. So why this middle
stance? It seems to just make us look mindless and impotent.

-Dan