[Dailydave] The Blue Pill of Threat Intelligence

Harry Hoffman hhoffman at ip-solutions.net
Fri Oct 17 12:02:18 EDT 2014

Most of what I've seen is that the various threat intelligence feeds are
used more in line with how BL filters are used in email systems.

Folks are blocking things out-right based upon a certain confidence
level and then allowing the rest into their networks.

It doesn't mean that the traffic that wasn't on the BL doesn't get
inspected, it simply means there's less traffic to inspect.

Local logs may add to the threat intel and provide additional blocking
but that's a bit harder for many people to get right.

How many (small?) companies block whole geographic regions from
communicating with them? If you cull out all of Russia and South East
Asia there's significantly less traffic to deal with in the end.

Not necessarily the way I'd deal with things but </shrug>.

Cheers,
Harry