[Dailydave] I am the reason we cannot have nice things on the Internet.

Andreas Lindh andreas.lindh at isecure.se
Wed Oct 22 16:28:01 EDT 2014

Dave,

I read that piece and thought it was quite well written. I also think that
you¹re wrong on several accounts.

First of all, the US is not the Internet. Saying that it¹s a good thing
that the US has "the most sophisticated cyber arsenal of any other country
on the planet² is just irrelevant in this context. You are addressing the
claim that the US is the biggest threat to the Internet, not to other
countries who happen to have a presence on the Internet. This is an
Internet issue, not some military dick waving contest. Also, considering
the US habit of starting wars, I¹d wager that large parts of the world
actually think it would be an even better thing if the US did not have
such an awesome arsenal at all.

Second, you claim that the US is not hacking for competitive advantages. I
get that you¹ve been a part of this machinery and probably knows what
you¹re talking about, but still. Should we just take your word for it? And
if so, why should your word carry more weight than when China says the
exact same thing?

Third, using ³but everyone else is doing it too² as an excuse is just
childish.

This is not a US military issue, this is about privacy for _everyone_.

Andreas

Read more:
http://www.businessinsider.com/expert-here-are-4-things-edward-snowden-gets
-wildly-wrong-about-the-nsa-2014-10#ixzz3GuB8jeC4