[Dailydave] The monetization of information insecurity

Dennis Groves dennis.groves at gmail.com
Tue Sep 9 14:23:52 EDT 2014

With all due respect,

> Any object of nontrivial complexity is non-optimum, in the sense that it
can be improved in some way (while still remaining non-optimum)
> -- Donald Knuth from https://www.tug.org/TUGboat/tb35-1/tb109knut.pdf

Donald Knuth states perfectly why bug bounties do not work. And our industry
is filled with security people finding clever ways to *improve* non-optimal
solutions, while they still remain non-optimum! Do nothing and profit!!! I
believe that AV has already been mentioned, however, we all know they are
not the only security vendors who make their livings this way...

I'll give you three additional reasons why bug bounties do not work:

* It assumes all security issues are software, which is just plain false.
Have you seen how devastating bumpkeys and social engineering and PSYOPS can
be?

* Entropy - software is of nontrivial complexity. Further it does not remain
static, but rather it is always in a state of change, features are always
being added bugs are patched, databases grow in size etc... bounded
rationality alone causes requirements to change during development! An
infinite problem space has infinite problems. (e.g. Turing completeness,
Godel, etc...) Software is used in ways the designers never imagined or
intended them to be used. There is no software utopia.

* It assumes we can patch all of the issues bug bounties identify, however
we don't control the supply chain!
	- Systems are coming pre-manufactured with vulns by DESIGN.
	- Systems are compromised in route to deployment so three letter
agencies can do their intelligence work.

Bug bounties are simply the latest way for multi-national corporations to
get hundreds of security researchers to do work for free. Don't confuse
economic systems with security systems, they are not the same. Bug bounties
are about reducing the cost of security, while maintaining the appearances
of doing something about it. It is the same old PR approach in new clothing.

You want to know what would work? Holding software producers legally liable
for their software bugs, because only if they have consequences for their
actions will they ever start taking things seriously!

Regards,
Dennis Groves, MSc