[Dailydave] The monetization of information insecurity

Parity pty.err at gmail.com
Thu Sep 11 12:27:02 EDT 2014

Returning to the original proposition -

Everyone here who has ever filled out an application for business insurance
may recall where the questionnaire asked whether they ran AV software. No
doubt there was a time when the actuarial data showed a definite inverse
correlation between AV utilization and real, actual losses.

A couple of decades later, insurers still hold customers negligent when
they don't run AV.

Point #1 being, there actually was a time when the monetization strategy of
infosec produced good results.

Point #2 being, today's successful infosec industry is tomorrow's worthless
vestige.

pty