[Dailydave] Junk Hacking Must Stop!

Don Bailey don.bailey at gmail.com
Mon Sep 22 16:12:27 EDT 2014

Hello List,

As an ex-hacker-of-things, I actually agree with the motivation behind this
post. I still wouldn't call it "junk", but that's an entirely separate and
subjective argument that no one in their right mind would care to get into.

However, we should have matured as an industry to the point where we can
get beyond the devices themselves, and I am disappointed to see my peers
constantly deriding the highly qualified engineers building these devices.
What a lot of security professionals don't have is the business sense or
engineering experience to understand the real threat model in which these
devices exist. Furthermore, calling the IoT/IoE (insert your
favorite/preferred term here) movement "terror" is amateurish and
insincere.

As a result, we're seeing consultants foolishly directing embedded
technology firms to go down bizarre rabbit holes, such as implementing
PaX/Grsec for ARM/MIPS on devices whose threat-scape is "can someone force
this washer to overheat the water via RF". This solves nothing. The real
discussion must focus on the product life cycle, tangible risks to the
end-user and business, and realistic and cost-effective security controls
that scale.

The less we focus on "everything can be owned!", the more we as an industry
can actually effect real change. Hyperbole disguised as passion distracts
industry outsiders and puts a bad taste in the mouths of people that
legitimately need guidance. Distractions in the form of "hacked a thing!"
or "fear the things!" is actually setting us as far back as an industry as
the 8bit microcontroller security surfaces used by these devices.

P.S. If you're just getting into hardware hacking and want to give a talk
on hacking a "thing", welcome to 2010.

Best,
Don A. Bailey
Founder