[Dailydave] Protecting your code versions.

Dan Guido dguido at gmail.com
Mon Sep 22 16:20:24 EDT 2014

I've found it surprising that so few attackers have adopted crypto to
protect their toolkits, even after they have empirical evidence from
malware like Gauss that it works (note: still not decrypted!).

I'm not sure what exactly INNUENDO is using but we've settled on
environment-derived keys as a central part of MAST, our software
protection engine. No AV in their right mind is going to stream your
entire 500GB HD to the cloud for analysis.

These techniques are not only applicable to malware. Our intended use
case for MAST is, believe it or not, iOS application protection. It's
developed in LLVM so it works without modification on any language and
architecture that they do.

More reading:
http://blog.trailofbits.com/2014/08/20/remastering-applications-by-obfuscating-during-compilation/
https://media.blackhat.com/bh-us-12/Briefings/Song/BH_US_12_Song_Royal_Flowers_Automated_WP.pdf