[Dailydave] The Role of Offensive Cyber Ops in NATO's Collective Defence

Dan Guido dguido at gmail.com
Mon Apr 13 11:42:27 EDT 2015

Members of our chat server discovered this publication today, "The
Role of Offensive Cyber Operations in NATO's Collective Defence." What
follows is a lightly edited transcript I thought I would share with
DailyDave. Enjoy!

https://ccdcoe.org/sites/default/files/multimedia/pdf/TP_08_2015.pdf

-----

"Put another way, can any military force credibly claim to have
advanced capabilities if it does not include offensive cyber
operations in its arsenal?"

Good question dude, good question. Was this paper written in 1999? I
feel like I just got out of a time machine.

"That said, all of these problems are manageable with some
decision-making model based on the precedent of the warning and
request system used for nuclear weapons release."

FURIOUS HANDWAVING. My face has been cooled by the breeze from the handwaving.

"One possible explanation for this is that there is neither
expectation nor intent for NATO to engage in major military
operations, and therefore no need to plan for the use of cyber
attack."

An excellent point dude, then why are they doing anything?

ok so in summary
1. computer hacking is gonna be a problem
2. we know nothing about computer hacking
3. other people do, but they classify everything
4. so we didn't ask them anything about this
5. because we didn't talk to anyone, we think that computer hacking
can do things like make missiles and computer monitors spontaneously
explode
6. that shit sounds pretty heavy, so the use of computer hacking
should be a policy decision made by, literally, the president
7. except maybe not, because that sounds slow, but I'm sure that we
can come up with some way to decide when computers need to be hacked
8. maybe we should have a red team

Yep, my Delorian is set for 1995.

-----

-Dan