[Dailydave] The NSA, the White House, China, and Germany

Dave Aitel dave at immunityinc.com
Wed Feb 4 11:30:59 EST 2015

There is one VERY important line in this podcast, which is run by and
for spook lawyers.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/volokh-conspiracy/wp/2015/02/03/dea-v-nsa-the-podcast/

That line is when they are discussing the DEA's way of surveilling all
Americans as they travel by using license plate readers all over the
place, shoving the data into a big database, and then mining it as
needed. On one hand, the Administrations have all claimed that license
plates are the opposite of something that can be protected by privacy,
as they are designed to go on the front of your car, to identify it in
public! (Aka, just like phone "metadata").

But one tiny voice in the room pipes up at the end. He says: "Ah, but
what is protected by privacy constitutional law is not the license plate
itself, but the LOCATION of the license plate. Tracking me wherever I go
is still unconstitutional."

What they fail to also connect here is biometrics. Your biometrics are
freely available to anyone with a camera, as CCC has shown. But they are
possibly also covered by privacy law, when it comes to the government
creating a huge database of fingerprints, faces, or other things.

And of course, if you haven't read it, the White House posted this today:
http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2015/02/china-cybersecurity-114875.html

The biggest paragraph in it was this:

Finally, we believe that nation-states have responsibilities in
cyberspace, just as they do elsewhere, to abide by certain standards of
behavior. That is why the United States remains deeply concerned about
China’s continuing and indisputable government-sponsored cyber theft
from companies and commercial sectors around the world for Chinese
companies’ advantage. The United States does not engage in these types
of activities. This behavior is adversely affecting the fundamentals of
the U.S.-China relationship, harming the ties of our business community,
tarnishing Chinese firms’ international image, and at a broader level,
undermining the basic foundations of free and fair commerce. That is why
China’s government-sponsored cyber theft for commercial gain is not just
a U.S.-China issue. It is an issue of concern to countries around the
world. It needs to stop.

"Or What?" China is asking.

-dave