[Dailydave] Dshell versus INNUENDO

Kyle Creyts kyle.creyts at gmail.com
Thu Feb 5 21:19:51 EST 2015

Not explicitly #3, but social-based mechanisms can run into a few
troubles, depending on the environment in which it is deployed:
a) policy-based proxy blocking (twitter? that's not a business-needs site!)
b) behavioral/anomaly-based proxy blocking (your user never used to go
to $social_network, and now you periodically check in! and push many
many many messages!? anomaly! probably badness!) (there are probably
ways to break this up, like posting images into which you encode
exfil'd data, and varying the check-in frequency) (I've only
encountered this in the wild a very small number of times. twice?)

...of course these are probably more "edge cases" than primary reasons
not to use social platforms for C2. But because these cases exist, it
is nice to have nifty C2 mechanisms like DNS TXT which may bypass some
logging, passive DNS collection, blocking controls, sinkholing, or
otherwise be able to circumvent various other tools defenders might
use to catch your tool.

--
Kyle Creyts

Information Assurance Professional