[Dailydave] "Like People?" (Important things from the NSA to you)

Dave Aitel dave at immunityinc.com
Tue Feb 10 10:29:11 EST 2015

A couple things came out last week that I think everyone missed, but
which were huge deals. I gave a talk not too long ago
<http://gtcybersecuritysummit.com/media.html> about how the US needs to
move their strategy to one of counter-insurgency (COIN) in cyber, in
order to have the effect it needs without generating constant blowback.
Part of this is going on the record about what the limits of our SIGINT
collection (both active and passive) are going to be.

Keep in mind NO OTHER COUNTRY DOES THIS. But it's still where we need to
be. It's super important stuff.

And so last week:

Now Intelligence Community elements must delete non-U.S. person
information collected through SIGINT five years after collection unless
the information has been determined to be relevant

REF:
http://icontherecord.tumblr.com/ppd-28/2015/privacy-civil-liberties

Likewise, the US is officially now on the record that doing the kinds of
things China and Russia do with state sponsored hackers  is officially
against the law (or an Executive Order at least?).

 1. The collection of foreign private commercial information or trade
    secrets is authorized only to protect the national security of the
    United States or its partners and allies. It is not an authorized
    foreign intelligence or counterintelligence purpose to collect such
    information to afford a competitive advantage to U.S. companies and
    U.S. business sectors commercially.

REF:
http://icontherecord.tumblr.com/ppd-28/2015/limiting-sigint-collection

-dave
<Mandatory Relevant Archer Scene>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y56-0HG8HlY
<archer image is relevant if you have htmlemail!>