[Dailydave] Comey: Worth a read.

Dave Aitel dave at immunityinc.com
Fri Jan 9 15:27:40 EST 2015

http://www.fbi.gov/news/speeches/addressing-the-cyber-security-threat

Comey gave a talk on Sony, "Going Dark" and the way forward in cyber.
It's VERY important his historical perspective and the example he chose
to use: a law enforcement raid of a drug dealer's hangout.

"""
There used to be a day in the good old days of law enforcement, you get
a search warrant, you enter a drug location and the knuckleheads would
have written down in one of those black composition books who got what
and how many kilos there were and you take the book and you would
photocopy it and give it to the prosecutor and you would be good to go.
Now we encounter a thumb drive, a PDA, a laptop, a tablet…and
increasingly we’re encountering devices that we cannot get access to
even with lawful authority. To me, this is not about the government
wanting to whack people’s privacy. I’m a big fan of privacy. I don’t
want the government, without lawful authority, going through anything of
mine.
"""

As a counterpoint:

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/the-war-on-drugs-is-burning-out-20150108