[Dailydave] Remember The Titans

Ben Hawkes hawkes at inertiawar.com
Fri Jul 31 16:31:45 EDT 2015

On Fri, Jul 31, 2015 at 7:55 AM, Dave Aitel <dave.aitel at gmail.com> wrote:

> I went back a couple days ago and re-read the latest Qualys exploit, as
> you should: http://seclists.org/oss-sec/2015/q3/185 . "Hi, here is a
> program that uses RLIMIT_FSIZE to like, own all the systems you probably
> have in your enterprise!" Unix is neat!
>
> But equally important is the Qihoo360 talk from Syscan 15. This is
> available here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5imoFfjZjx0 . Notice how
> they beat up all of Microsoft's very latest projection work, without
> breaking a sweat, but all the while in a very Chinese way, praising the
> cleverness of their opponent.
>
> Both of these talks are phenomenal work that is done while making it look
> easy and should teach you a strategic lesson about hacking.
>
> People go to Vegas to be distracted. And it's fun to be distracted by what
> is a literal modern-day witch hunt from Chris Seghoian and friends against
> hackers because they can do things that scare children. Equally true is
> that it is easy to be distracted by whatever the latest junk hacking is
> that appears in Wired or on CNN. Or, of course, by whatever random magic
> trick someone at Google's Project Zero has put out on a blog. "OMG FLASH
> HAS ANOTHER BUG!?!?!!"

Perfect timing! I'd encourage everyone to go and be distracted by Mateusz'
just-released blog post:
http://googleprojectzero.blogspot.com/2015/07/one-font-vulnerability-to-rule-them-all.html

As far as distractions go, I'm really proud of the work that Mateusz has
done on fonts recently, as it exactly encapsulates everything that Project
Zero is about: cutting edge attack research on high priority targets
performed in the public domain. You're definitely right that Mateusz' work
is often indistinguishable from magic, but you're not right about the
motivations for his work, or that of Project Zero's.

I'm never quite sure how to respond to the claims that Project Zero is
marketing driven - we've spoken publicly about our reasoning in creating
the team[1] in the past, our technical strategy, and what we hope to
achieve. But perhaps let me distill this down: Project Zero's success is
measured based on the impact of its engineering output on user safety, and
nothing else.

Our team consists 100% of security researchers with a background in
software exploitation. In the past year, we've fixed 250+ bugs, and
released 20+ technical reports on our blog. We apply 90-day deadlines to
Android [2] and Chrome [3]. We've helped deploy exploit mitigations and
sandbox improvements into Flash, Chrome, and Linux. We don't release glossy
PDFs or press releases! But we do think that we can make a substantial
positive impact on the security of both Google and our users - even if
takes longer than we'd all like, we're in it for the long haul.

[1]
https://cansecwest.com/slides/2015/Project%20Zero%20-%20making%200day%20hard%20-%20Ben%20Hawkes.pdf
[2] For example:
https://code.google.com/p/google-security-research/issues/detail?id=252