[Dailydave] The evolution of Threat Intelligence

Dave Aitel dave.aitel at gmail.com
Thu Oct 29 16:39:48 EDT 2015

I found it interesting the terminology in the talk, insomuch as I've always
felt that computer science was by definition the study of intelligence,
whereas psychology the study of sentience. And of course, because
consciousness and sentience are themselves a series of bullshit tricks,
psychology was as well.

It's always interesting to see on the Twitters people complaining about how
so much effort goes into studying advertising, a science which itself would
not work if we were truly as self aware as we thought we were. :)

"""
But let me be clear about one thing that may make cybersecurity
different than all else and that is that we have sentient opponents.
The physicist does not.  The chemist does not.  Not even the economist
has sentient opponents.  We do.  What puzzles we have to solve are
not drawn from some generally diminishing store of unsolved puzzles,
nor could our theories completely explain all observable fact thus
reducing our worries and our work to engineering alone.  There is
something different about a search for truth when there isn't any,
or at least any that lasts long enough to exhaustively explore.
There is something different when what we can detect and from which
we can then infer is even partly under the control of people at
cross purposes to our purposes.

"""