[Dailydave] Cicadas

Dave Aitel dave at immunityinc.com
Thu Sep 10 13:17:47 EDT 2015

/Yagate shinu//
//  Keshiki wa miezu//
//      Semi no koe//
      - Basho
/
I updated my SILICA this morning while making pancakes for the kids, as
you do, and of course, all around me looked about with new eyes. I have
a new mesh network that a friend installed in my house and it's
interesting to see what it looks like to a wireless hacker. If you
haven't seen the new SILICA video it is here: https://vimeo.com/136964755

There's this sense that hackers get which is divorced from what is in
Wired or Business Insider or BlackHat which is "Works in the Wild".
It's a palpable thing, that sets priorities like a hot oil such that you
can tell who has "Gone Active", as they say, from their recoiling from
various technologies. One technology that is currently on the hot plate
is Active Directory. You can see from talks even at DefCon that people
are looking at WMI as a persistence mechanism in the wild. And the
Microsoft talk from INFILTRATE 2014 went over a whole methodology for
attacking Active Directory networks that dragged public discussion of
the techniques into the modern age. For decades AD has been a disaster
from a security perspective - by design - and now all that technical
debt is coming due like a storm of cicadas chirping their last song.

-dave