[Dailydave] FireEye is sad.

Darkpassenger darkpassenger at unseen.is
Wed Sep 16 13:32:26 EDT 2015

FDA analogy is really far from Cyber and intellectual nature of its
elements . better use FCC business, yes ?
see here :
https://apps.fcc.gov/kdb/GetAttachment.html?id=1UiSJRK869RsyQddPi5hpw%3D%3D&desc=594280%20D02%20U-NII%20Device%20Security%20v01r02&tracking_number=39498

so it would seem legally questionable to turn a wifi chip into monitor
mode (your simple daily sniffer) or "engineer" better RF coverage in
MIMO-mode of a recent AP firmware with home-cooked tricks on chip's
luxury beam-forming features ( say , your restless sleepless night-time
games ) .

is the example going to factually change how the game is played on the
mentioned 5 Ghz targets ? not really .
i have strong objections on calling whole infosec spectrum an "industry"
, as if folks are in it with same terms and intentions . "regulating
away the threat" is how allied nations tried to handle the dual-use tech
for example on CW or even nuclear issues , apparently by a couple of
agreements . does it work , really? i do know that it doesnt . i
recommend this for a through reading :
https://mitpress.mit.edu/books/innovation-dual-use-and-security

-dp