[Dailydave] Support Classes

dave aitel dave at immunityinc.com
Tue Jul 12 12:23:34 EDT 2016

https://www.josipfranjkovic.com/blog/race-conditions-on-web

Everyone read that post because it's some good shit. Unrelated to the
rest of this post, but still great.

Ok, now that you are done: Lately, like all of you I have been playing
Overwatch. Usually I play with people in infosec because that's more fun
for some reason, or I'm tribal, or whatever.  (My ID is: DaveAitel#1794
if you want to play).

Anyways, last night, while being one of two Lucio's guarding a RoadHog
as we romped whatever 12 year olds happened to still be up that late (10
is late for me), I was thinking about how everyone discounts the support
classes, but you cannot win against a team that has them. If you've read
Michael Hayden's book
<https://www.amazon.com/Playing-Edge-American-Intelligence-Terror/dp/1594206562/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1468338275&sr=8-1&keywords=michael+hayden>,
which is good, so you should, then you know that a big part of his
tenure was putting together support teams from NSA who went out into the
field - into literal war zones - and occasionally who took casualties.

I'm pointing this out mostly because when you talk to policy people or
watch Zero Day the Movie (FFS everything about this movie bothers me and
you equally) you will hear them go on and on about how this technology
could "Get into the wrong hands". And yes, STUXNET is out! We've all had
copies for YEARS. How's that Armageddon working out for everyone? HAS
THERE EVEN BEEN A COPY OF IT MODIFIED FOR MALICIOUS USE? People always
forget we used to live in an Internet full of worms. Every day a new
worm. Worms were BORING back in the day because there were so many of
them we had to give them the cute names we've now reserved for vanity
bugs, like HEARTBLEED and BATTLETOADS.

Literally, our only data point is that cyber "weapons" are safer than
aspirin. Something to keep in mind when everyone is calling for massive
regulation or overreaction to every new Wired article.

-dave