[Dailydave] INFILTRATE Innovations

Dave Aitel dave.aitel at gmail.com
Wed Mar 23 13:47:10 EDT 2016

So the talk previews are a big deal in terms of things we've innovated on
for INFILTRATE. Maybe almost as a big a deal as "Having fucking coffee
available all the time", which I think should go without saying since so
many people are jet lagged, but appears to be rocket science on the
conference circuit.

I remember when BlackHat tried to get everyone to write academic style
white papers for every talk. Moving towards academia seems to be the wrong
direction to go though, like a step backwards off the cliff of irrelevance.
But professionalism is a good thing and having a team of researchers think
about your work is a sneaky but effective way of ensuring it. The goal is
to take talks that would otherwise just be good, and make them legendary,
which makes coming to the conference that much more worthwhile. Sometimes
you will get a call a week after you do your dry run asking about how you
transfer information between different parts of your binary analysis
platform, for example, because peer review is ongoing, not instant.

So what makes a talk better, aside from being able to communicate using
fonts that are big enough to see, and having charts instead of long lists
of bulletpoints?

Largely it is the ideas - and our most common critique at that level is
around the conclusions of talks. People seem to write their conclusions at
the end - when really it is the climax of the work. In other words, often
the most important thing about the talk is "What's Next". The goal of the
peer review team is to get INFILTRATE talks to the point where the audience
is going to wish they had a whole team to put on whatever the talk was
about, and I think this year we succeeded.

Looking forward to seeing everyone in a couple weeks!!!

-dave