[Dailydave] Biggest Rocks and Glassiest Houses

allison nixon elsakoo at gmail.com
Wed Jun 14 11:36:51 EDT 2017

I have some anec-data from a narrow view of this problem.

When it comes to DDOS protection, and the proportion of infrastructure that
are behind reasonable, or *really really good* ddos protection, I suspect
the USA is at the top right now. It's never been a better time to get DDOS
attacked as an American. Almost every time I've observed some major company
getting knocked over it's either outside north america or it was some
innovative new botnet.

Also, less anecdotally, USA based assets also get attacked with DDOS more
often. Based on what dataset you see, it's USA or China vying for the top.
Which botnet families you see often skews the statistics towards specific
countries- my current (admittedly skewed) dataset puts USA at 57% of global
victims.

Even less anecdotally, counts of DDOS source machines("IoT") from so-called
"2nd world" countries frequently out-rank the USA despite having fewer
Internet connected people.

That doesn't necessarily support or refute the original point. One
compromised DVR isn't equivalent to one compromised bank admin. but it is
one view of things.