[Dailydave] Encrypted Malware Traffic Detection == hilarious?

Robert Graham robert_david_graham at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 23 18:47:02 EDT 2017

There are two kinds of AI/ML:1. the kind that recognizes what humans recognize (faces, cars, etc.)2. the kind that recognizes things humans can't see (stock market trends, etc.)
The first item is real, and is slowly changing the world. The second is bogus, snake oil, emperors without clothes.
As long as I've been in the field of network intrusion detection (more than 2 decades), there have been a stream of papers every year promising machines can see evil on the network that humans couldn't see. They've never worked in practice.
That's not to say good things don't exist. Arbor Networks, for example, does fine job at pointing out anomalies. But it's based on human ingenuity, not machine learning, and it requires human effort to use.