[Dailydave] Modern Meanness

Dave Aitel dave.aitel at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 20:22:15 UTC 2019

"Every man loves what he is good at", said Thomas Shadwell, poet laureate
of England, a few hundred years ago. Coincidentally, a few years ago I was
on a TF2 server with a different Thomas Shadwell. I actually grew up with
Team Fortress Classic, and then when I had kids I got back into TF2 because
its advanced level of whimsey is oddly addictive, not just to meet British
hackers.

Zoom forward to today and Thomas <https://zemn.me/> is the newly crowned
champion of Hack Fortress, but he also owned the Mr Robot website, the UK
tax website, and somehow is on Forbes 30 under 30. Obviously though, his
largest achievement TO DATE is coming to INFILTRATE
<http://infiltratecon.com/speakers/> May 2/3 to talk to you about a RCE bug
he found in a modern application installed on one bajillion boxes. :)

INFILTRATE isn't all about heap overflows and tricky timing attacks that
require understanding the microcode running on the processor. Sometimes
it's looking at how the advanced frameworks are broken, the modern
methodology for being mean to computers.

Be sure to quiz him on the poetry of his namesake at dinner though. :)
-dave