[Dailydave] The Treadmill

Thomas Dullien thomas.dullien at googlemail.com
Wed Apr 8 08:27:21 UTC 2020

Hey there,

just to argue a counterpoint - irrespective of the concrete proposal
(software bill-of-materials etc.), the reality is that most huge
software companies reap excess profits from incurring risk on behalf
of society. The state of Android security was crappy *by management
decision*; e.g. Andy Rubin deliberately incurred technical debt that
exposed lots of customers; and with all the efforts Microsoft has done
to shore up the security of their platform, it pales with the profits
they have run in the meantime.

If you allow one fraction of society to make an excess profit for
incurring risks to everybody else, then they will incur an excess
risk. In some sense, the big software vendors have been "short-selling
geopolitical volatility using their customers as collateral" for a few
decades, and when people complain about the billions of damages that
IP-theft-via-hacking does, those vendors do deserve some of the blame.

So ... what are the options to align risk-taking incentives? All of
those options will infuriate software companies, but there is no way
to fix the risk alignment without infuriating those that profit off of
it.

Some options:
1) Software liability.
2) Government-imposed fines for actually exploited vulnerabilities, as
percentage of gross profit (This is software liability but cutting out
the legal profiteering).
3) Personal liability for software executives that make "I accept the
risk on behalf of my customers" decisions.

Any other suggestions?

Cheers,
Thomas