[Dailydave] BAH vs GRU

Dave Aitel dave.aitel at gmail.com
Wed Apr 8 20:23:25 UTC 2020

So when I worked at the NSA I worked with some Booz Allen Hamilton people,
and they were extremely helpful but wore suits all the time so it was a bit
confusing. But I think that time has changed me in the sense that I kinda
read and watch everything like it is SIGINT. For example, imagine if you
could get access to the latest Russian government vulnerability research -
you would definitely DO that right? You'd watch it and take notes even if
the video had crappy sound and the presentation was super boring and in
broken  Google-translated English. And yet, people will put up an entire
YouTube channel from PHDays and it'll have like 4 views on any given video.

In that same sense, I've seen almost no analysis or discussion of the BAH
paper they released a little while ago that goes into how the GRU uses
cyber operations to support national interests:
https://www.boozallen.com/c/insight/publication/the-logic-behind-russian-military-cyber-operations.html

If they had put classification markings at the top, it would have gotten a
lot more attention I think. But it's also the only paper I know of its
kind. I got a lot out of it, but largely a feeling for the HUGE scope and
scale of the GRU's cyber capabilities. They have a lot of success in the
field! It must be a team of hundreds, just looking at all the different
targets they are hitting, with all the different tool chains.

In any case, I highly recommend spending the couple hours it will take to
give it a deep read. You get to understand a bit more about what the
Russian cyber norms really are: and it's a harsh picture.

-dave