[MART] - Daily Diary #419 - Malware Types - Trojan

CTAS-MAT ctas-mat at appgate.com
Mon Dec 27 20:50:49 UTC 2021

Hello,
I hope everyone is doing well!

Below is the entry for today.

27/12/2021 - Diary entry #419

Today we will continue our thread on Malware Types, started on Daily Diary #328, talking about Trojans.

Trojan Horse (or simply Trojan) is a very popular category of malware. Trojan horses are spread through social engineering attacks, making a user believe it's installing a legitimate software when in fact they are installing a malware. Trojans can also be found in modified versions of popular software, executing the malicious code along with the trusted software. Trojans are also often found embedded in cracked software.

Like viruses, Trojans by itself are purposeless, so this category generally holds malware with other purposes, like banking, adware, and spyware malware. One recent example of trojan was the modified version of SolarWinds' Orion, used to infect companies in the SolarWinds' supply-chain attack. In that situation, a trojanized DLL was embedded in the update software, and used to infect organizations that used the solution.

To be safe against Trojans, we recommend never using cracked software, be aware of any phishing attempts, and validating digital signatures of downloaded software installers, ensuring it's not being tampered by an attacker.

Kind Regards,

[https://d3aafpijpsak2t.cloudfront.net/images/Signature/logo@2x.png]<https://www.appgate.com/>

[https://d3aafpijpsak2t.cloudfront.net/images/Signature/likedin@2x.png]<https://www.linkedin.com/company/appgate-security/>     [https://d3aafpijpsak2t.cloudfront.net/images/Signature/twitter@2x.png] <https://twitter.com/AppgateSecurity>   [https://d3aafpijpsak2t.cloudfront.net/images/Signature/youtube@2x.png] <https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-8GvxcZbm-R3EJNl8jYjiQ>

Felipe Duarte Domingues
Security Researcher
Appgate

E: felipe.duarte at appgate.com<mailto:felipe.duarte at appgate.com>