[MART] - Daily Diary #637 - Distribution Techniques - Ransomware-as-a-Service (RaaS)

ctas-mat at appgate.com ctas-mat at appgate.com
Wed Dec 14 22:53:49 UTC 2022

Hello,

I hope everyone is doing well!

Below is the entry for today.

12/14/2022 - Diary entry #637:

In our Daily Diary #420, we begin to cover malware techniques and their variations. Today we will cover a technique of distributing Ransomware as a Service through illegal cybercrime marketplaces on the dark web.

Ransomware as a Service (RaaS) is an adoption of the Software as a Service (SaaS) business model. Sold directly on the dark web, using cryptocurrencies, it consists of a subscription-based model that includes user instruction packs and technical support that allows affiliates to use pre-developed ransomware tools to execute ransomware attacks.

As threat actors, including people with no hacking experience, increasingly join Ransomware-as-a-Service (RaaS) operations, Ransomware-as-a-Service (RaaS) is going strong by 2023 because of its high demand and the profits that are generated in the dark web markets. Also, the organizations are becoming more efficient with the data exfiltration process and are supporting the new cybercriminals, shaming the organizations that don't pay for the rescue.

The trend towards novel and unique ransomware attacks will continue into 2023, which is why it is recommended for organizations implement multi-layered cybersecurity defense, such as data security, endpoint security, and gateway-based security solutions.

Kind Regards,

[https://d3aafpijpsak2t.cloudfront.net/images/Signature/logo@2x.png]<https://www.appgate.com/>

[https://d3aafpijpsak2t.cloudfront.net/images/Signature/likedin@2x.png]<https://www.linkedin.com/company/appgate-security/>     [https://d3aafpijpsak2t.cloudfront.net/images/Signature/twitter@2x.png] <https://twitter.com/AppgateSecurity>   [https://d3aafpijpsak2t.cloudfront.net/images/Signature/youtube@2x.png] <https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-8GvxcZbm-R3EJNl8jYjiQ>

MART

Malware Analysis and Research Team
Appgate

E: ctas-mat at appgate.com<mailto:ctas-mat at appgate.com>