[MART] - Daily Diary #555 - New Android Malware on Marketplace

CTAS-MAT ctas-mat at appgate.com
Tue Jul 19 20:52:33 UTC 2022

Hello,

I hope everyone is doing well!

Below is the entry for today.

07/19/2022 - Diary entry #555:

A new Android malware family, active since June 2021, was recently disclosed. At least eight applications in the Google Play Store, installed more than 3 million times, spread a new variant of Joker spyware called Autolycos.

Autolycos asks for permission to read SMS and subscribes users to premium services without their knowledge or consent to obtain financial advantage (we covered a similar Android malware called SMSFactory on Daily Diary #526). To remain under the radar, it executes URLs in a remote browser including the response in HTTP requests instead of using Android Webview.

While these apps are no longer on the Marketplace, users who have installed any of them on their devices are at risk. This is why we recommend users install an antivirus solution, be careful while installing applications from unknown sources, and always pay attention to the app’s requested permissions.

Kind Regards,