[Dailydave] We are all Wallfacers

Dave Aitel dave at immunityinc.com
Thu Oct 15 09:22:28 EDT 2015

So science fiction has long been the lymph node system of our career
field. It exerts a mysterious, but powerful influence. And because the
Chinese are our natural ally, especially in light of recent events, it
probably is a good idea to read their science fiction as well.
Particularly when it wins massive awards, even though as far as anyone
can tell, the science fiction award-giving community is as corrupt as
Miami politics, except in a more interesting way
<http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2015/04/08/_2015_hugo_awards_how_the_sad_and_rabid_puppies_took_over_the_sci_fi_nominations.html>.

So you need to Kindle these two books right away (clicky clicky!):
http://www.amazon.com/Three-Body-Problem-Cixin-Liu-ebook/dp/B00IQO403K/ref=asap_bc?ie=UTF8
http://www.amazon.com/The-Dark-Forest-Cixin-Liu-ebook/dp/B00R13OYU6/ref=pd_sim_351_1?ie=UTF8

Like almost all of you, I have read science fiction my whole life, and
this is some of the best I've ever read. The translations leave enough
of the original language to come through to give it a unique cant, but
without anything being lost in the casting.  You get some of that
classic culture shock - for example, heroic "political officers" play a
big part in the book, which to an American reader makes no sense
whatsoever.

In any case, back to The Grugq and his eternal search for the Jiu-Jitsu
of OPSEC. Both books cover operational security at different levels, but
the second book, the one the Grugq says is not nearly as good, covers
the problem of what to do when your every move is surveilled by a much
more technically sophisticated opponent. It is the OPSEC of asymmetric
defense. And in many ways, it is a much better book. If you read both
books in a row, it's the book that will stick with you.

-dave