[Dailydave] Assessment

Dave Aitel dave.aitel at gmail.com
Fri Jul 20 16:59:39 UTC 2018

So soon after the Immunity deal closed we had this big all hands conference
call with everyone in the larger Cyxtera group on it, and Chris Day, who
runs the group I'm in, said, "Hey Dave, can you give everyone a quick
rundown as to what Immunity is, now that we're all one big team?" and I'll
be honest, I totally bombed.

Immunity has never done corporate verbiage. There's a tendency to be
extremely bland and generic when on a large conference call with people you
barely know. If you've ever been at a social event with me then you know
that "conventional" is not my standard modus operandi. Normally I would
start to answer any question like that with "We live in a world of mirrors
and here are the various exact swamp creatures you would need if you wanted
to raze some sort of small city in cyberspace, but right now they're
collectively porting something into Emacs-Lisp".

But in this case I said some bland shit and we all moved on with our lives.
Sometimes I wonder though, how does one put something like Immunity into
the broader historical context of our community?

-dave