[Dailydave] Fwd: [Cryptography] NSA/GCHQ put their heads together to discuss encryption on the net

Florent Daigniere florent.daigniere at trustmatta.com
Tue Sep 29 03:50:06 EDT 2015

On Sun, 2015-09-27 at 17:30 -0700, Darkpassenger wrote:
> [snip]
> why all this news coverage ? what was default expected from NSA/GCHQ
> be
> doing ? why Civilians are penetrable to Snowden-type news as if
> unlikely
> cure for a bad disease just found ? even if they are below average IQ
> they must have a very basic idea what Spy agencies do . what is this
> wide across spectrum shock ? WHAT IS THE NEWS here ? i am literally
> asking honest questions from fellow coders

The scale of it all. Of course, anyone with half a brain knew this
could happen... but pre-snowden everyone was assuming that spook
operations were targeted. Not because they had to be... but because the
cost of doing it otherwise would just be too high... cost/benefit ratio
is what is used elsewhere by "rational" people to justify their
actions.

It turns out that the tech community was wrong all along. They have way
deeper pockets than anyone has ever suspected... Here one has to ask,
why has so much money been pumped into this (as opposed to fund medical
research, build/staff hospitals, ...)? Which adversary are they facing
that could justify it? Teens experimenting in their garage?

Let me tell you about a world I know a bit... PETs (Privacy Enhancing
Technologies): there's been decades of research starting off a model
where there is *no* global adversary. Snowden has proven that we have
at least an active one! This makes Tor, Freenet and all related
technologies obsolete and inadequate as they currently stand.

I can't answer for others, but that's why it was news to me.

[snip.]