[Dailydave] Dry Runs

Jordan Wiens jordan at psifertex.com
Tue Apr 14 23:25:07 EDT 2015

I strongly agree with your general comments about dry-run throughs. I'm
surprised no other security conference (that I know of) has borrowed the
approach.

One of the problems I have with Prezi is hinted at by your 1(b). Prezi
doesn't lend itself to easy organization of thoughts in that it's up to you
to provide all the structure. I often start with an outlining app first and
then migrate to prezi when I use it, but that's not efficient. Also, the
infinite zooming can certainly be useful, but I think it often ends up
being distracting more often than clarifying.

One alternative I like is reveal.js (https://github.com/hakimel/reveal.js/).

It allows easy hierarchical organization (in two-axes at least), and has
other added bonuses like being plain text and therefore convenient for
version control, viewable anywhere without proprietary software (heck, it
works fine on mobile platforms even -- a good way to test your minimum font
sizes). Oh -- I don't think I showed it off during our dry-run through, but
you can also zoom out of the whole presentation when you want to quickly
navigate to a particular slide and that's where the hierarchical structure
is extra handy for quick navigation. Also, prezi doesn't do this:
http://lab.hakim.se/reveal-js/#/10/4

There's all sorts of generator scripts from structured markup like Markdown
(https://github.com/webpro/reveal-md) or org-mode (
https://github.com/yjwen/org-reveal) that are even more convenient for
simple editing of the initial slide content which helps for quick
outlining, version control, etc. That helps a ton with the separation of
presentation and content that Jacob referenced, but LaTeX can get annoying.

There's also a few other .js based presentation frameworks that have
similar capabilities to prezi if you're up for experimentation, like
impress.js (http://bartaz.github.io/impress.js/#/bored), strut.io (
http://strut.io/) which is an almost-wysiwyg like editor for a couple of
these frameworks, though it's a bit buggy.

--
jordan